How hard is it to get a lottery retailer licence?
Although most of us love to play the lottery, there is another way of actually and truly making a living from the lottery without buying one single tickets. All you have to do is become a lottery retailer and sell lottery tickets. A lot of gas station and store owners become lottery retailers to supplement their store’s income. Other’s set up kiosks in shopping malls specifically to sell only lottery tickets. But wherever lottery tickets are sold, there is money to be made by those who sell the tickets..
Lottery retailers and how they operate
A lottery retailer works for themselves but on behalf of the provincial or state lottery operator. Retailers, or sellers, sell lottery products on behalf the operator and receive a percentage of each ticket sold or each major prize won on a ticket printed by that retailer. But before you can become a lottery seller or retailers, you must go though an application process to qualify as a seller and receive a lottery retailer licence.
First you will have to fill out an application to become a lottery retailer. Once the application is submitted, you will be subject to a complete financial and a criminal background check not only on you, the owner of the business, but also on all those you list on the application like spouses or employees. Once this check is completed, and no issues are found, you will be contacted by someone from the lottery operator to schedule a time to come out to your location to do the following, but not necessarily in this order:
- The lottery operator representative will need to schedule training sessions for you any staff that sell the tickets, on how to sell, check, and redeem lottery tickets and manage your lottery retail license. This training is mandatory and must be successfully completed.
- You will need to compile your required banking documents and in some jurisdictions must open a separate bank account designated for the lottery operator’s transactions only, and provide proof that the account has been set up.
- You will also need to provide proof of your business licence and actually be open for business.
- You will receive a confirmation when the lottery terminal equipment will be delivered to your location and installed.
- Once your equipment is installed and verified to be working properly, ticket paper and scratch tickets will be delivered to your location.
- Once you are ready to sell tickets, you will remove the tickets from your safe and place scratch tickets in the clear display and ticket paper into the printer.
The lottery rep will return and ensure that you are meeting all the licence requirements, rules, and regulations, provide further training to new employees, and make sure all customer-facing media and material is properly displayed. They will provide refresher training, training on changes of games, tickets, and procedures, and answer any questions you may have.
And just like that, you will be selling lottery tickets and making money at the same time. The more tickets you sell, the money you will make, so it is in your best interest to make sure customers know where you are and you give them great customer service. Remember that the higher the jackpot gets, more people will buy tickets, and might buy more than they usually do. And you want to make sure thaat they buy their lottery tickets from you.